So it's been ages since I've updated this blog. I've tonnes of blog fodder, but have been focusing on private journalling, due to the often "raw" nature of my thoughts.
I'm not a professional writer, I've tried a lot of things with this blog to keep myself engaged and improve my writing, and I hope that is evident; but also… This blog is primarily by me, for me and journalling just fits that better.
What have I been up to this year?
In no particular order:
- Attending work as a Technial lead software engineer, where I've had a salary increase and bonus within one year of service.
- Trying to maintain a 50 repo service, undergoing a product pivot; while improving patterns, fixing bugs and trying to be the best collaborator I can be.
- Reading voraciously:
- Three body problem
- [re-visited] Foundation by Isaac Assimov
- The Wool Trilogy and Beacon 23 by Hugh Howey
- Trying to improve the commons by contributing to OpenSource
- Learning new tools, polishing and developing techniques:
- Using WSGI and ASGI wrappers to bundle existing python and nodeJS projects for AWS Lambda.
- [revisiting] Cloud messaging techniques, such as batchItemFailures.
- Python Monorepo with several projects in a single repository.
- Python Package management using poetry.
- [improving] Postman and LucidChart collaboration capacity.
- Terragrunt, with [fairly fluent already] terraform.
- Pytest-recording, to coordinate VCR.
- Pytest auto-table tests from unions, to exhaustively generate test cases for mapping input and output.
- Jupyter Notebook and adjacent technologies.
- Github actions, and GitLab for CI, advanced patterns for pipeline and release automation.
- AWS SSM and multi-account coordination.
- Postgrest, and through it yet more Docker edge-cases
- Teaching, Pairing, Coaching:
- Agile software delivery.
- Explaining clean architecture and project structure and organisation.
- Driver, Navigator.
- 5 why's incident investigation and response.
- Agile/Scrum ceremonies.
- Test-Driven and Fear-Free refactoring and design.
This is a fly over the top, overview. I've also been obsessing over my desk-setup, trying out new games like StarField, technologies around the ARM single-board computing ecosystem, and RISC-V ecosystem; Being a husband, brother, uncle, grandson, son; travelling and experiencing new things.